Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

April 09, 2008

Which Newcomer Will Have the Greatest Impact?


We've had a poll on here for a while asking the question, "Which newcomer will have the greatest impact?" The choices were Eric Gagne, Mike Cameron, David Riske, and Jason Kendall. The top choice, with 68% of the vote (11 votes) was Eric Gagne. Jason Kendall finished second with 25% (4 votes) while David Riske had 6% (1 vote) and Mike Cameron received no votes.

Before the season started I would have said Eric Gagne would have the greatest impact. Now I don't necessarily think that is the case. After the first week of the season Kendall is doing great and Gagne not so much. Still, it's very early but I think Kendall will have the greatest impact of the newcomers.

Going into tonight's game against the Reds, Kendall is batting .526 with a .565 on base percentage and 5 RBI's. Obviously he won't hit that well the entire season but his quick start is encouraging. His hitting is not the thing that gives him the edge over Gagne for making the greatest impact however. His ability behind the plate calling a game is where he is making the greatest impact. Last year Johnny Estrada was horrible in pretty much every aspect. Kendall is clicking with all the pitchers already, especially Ben Sheets. He is a veteran with experience and one of the best game callers in baseball. Most media outlets criticized the Kendall signing but it could end up being one of the most important signings of the off-season in all of baseball.

Gagne came over to Milwaukee signing a 1 year, $10 million dollar contract. After only 3 innings of work he's already blown 2 saves and has an ERA of 12.00. Many think Gagne has lost a step but I believe he will still turn in a solid season. Why do I think that? Two words, Jason Kendall. The closer is an important role but Kendall is playing nearly every day and will impact the way Gagne performs so he will have the greatest impact of all the newcomers this season.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

We miss Jason here in Oakland.
He is such a scruffy smart player.

Whenever I think of Jason, I recall the game on August 11, 2005when he spanked a frustrated, whiney K-Rod (who while snapping his mitt at the ball) muffed a return toss from his catcher. Jason alertly bolted from third and scored the winning run.

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Blogger Templates